Friday 30 September 2016

Travel diary. Day 1

Travel diary

28th September, 2016

My morning began at 5:40 am, I am not a morning person, even when excited. But it was nothing a smoke and a cup of coffee, lovingly made by my mother couldn’t sort out.

Taxi arrived on time and I had a jolly driver who, after teaching me his knowledge of the Swedish language consisting of the words ‘Hej’ and ‘Hej da’ (Hello and Goodbye) then began talking to me about alcohol. At 6:30 in the morning.

Journey to the airport took longer than expected with the national express, which at that time of the morning wasn’t as jolly as it suggests in the song. We went to Manchester via Runcorn, going over the Runcorn bridge. I am a proud Liverpudlian, but I have to admit, I did draw an ugly comparison of the glum industrial looking bridge of Runcorn to that of the majestic Oresundsbron that I will be crossing later.

Flight was Lovely. The sun was shining intensely through the window, and it afforded me a nice pleasant sleep. Coming into land in Denmark was horrendous however, we were warned prior to taking off that the plane would encounter turbulence upon arrival, but nothing compared me for what happened. The lady next to me was angry, I found it amusing. Who was she angry at? The wind? People have far to much anger inside themselves. Emelie's dad would later experience the same winds on a later flight to another part of Sweden.

Emelie’s dad had sent me a text mid air to tell me he would be picking me up, so at arrivals I waited and got speaking to a Danish guy. He asked me where I was from, so after boring him with my Danish ancestry, I told him I was from Liverpool. Bizarrely he asked me if I supported Everton, I corrected him and told him I was a Liverpool fan. ‘What about you?’ I asked, following it up with ‘Kobenhavn, Aalborg?’ knowing by his discomfort in his face that the answer was likely going to be Manchester united, and it was.

Luckily on queue, Emelies dad rescued me with a burger king...again, and a ride to Malmo to Emelies house.

I was greeted by Uno, the cat who ran and hid, but had to wait 2 hours for human company, firstly Emelies brother, who greeted me with a Subway, then Emelie, then her mom, who cooked me dinner. Uno had thankfully warmed to me again by then, and even brushed against me like cats do.

These lovely Swedish folk really like to make sure you don’t go hungry.

Emelie got bored of me pretty quickly, as I was trying in vain to convince her of the brilliance of kodi and it’s ability (albeit slightly on the illegal side) to be the app that Netflix wishes it was. She was soon to be convinced and, we spent the evening watching ‘Keanu’, a brilliantly made fun story about two regular guys who have to pretend to be ‘gangster’ in order to infiltrate a gang in order to save their kitten.

No comments:

Post a Comment