Thursday 25 August 2016

Reading for recovery

Hi,

My name's Thomas, I reside in Liverpool, England.

I have a passion for reading and writing. Whilst I don't have the skills to write a novel, or even a short story it came to me at 3am on a monday morning the answer to my question 'how can I give something back to these ancient past-times?'

The answer came to me like a light bulb being switched on. I can read a book, and share my experience to other people.

Now my reasons for doing this is not to become a feature in a magazine or newspaper. It's to share a positive message to people like me with whom reading could make a positive change in thier life like it has done in mine.

'People like me'
I'm an addict, I used to take cocaine and pain killers on a daily basis. It rendered me hopeless, I lost everything, family, a roof over my head, friend's, jobs and self pride. Thankfully, I now have most of them back, I am not here to tell you that the answer to being in a hopeless state of mind and body is to pick up the latest Harlen Coben novel and to escape your troubles. I needed rehab and a strong fellowship in Cocaine Anonymous to aid my recovery. But once you have the stepping stones to stay clean, then having a passion in your life, whether it be reading, which I will try and help promote, or something else, then it can really help to avoid picking up the potentially deadly 'first drink or drug'

Obviously my most recommended book is the big book of alcoholics anonymous. But once you have that in your life then hopefully I can help you over the coming weeks, months and years by recommending some lighter reading which you can enjoy with the piece of mind that the 12 steps can give you.

Obviously, this blog is not solely intended for addicts, I hope many fellow readers can gain access to many of the books I read, enjoy and share on this page.

Regards,

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment